Sweetened with orange juice and honey these Very Berry Muffins make a delicious way to start your day!
Muffins are my favorite breakfast food, I mean favorite! Which if you have checked out my recipe archive, then you probably already know that about me. I love all kinds of muffins, but this time of the year when fresh berries are in abundance I can’t help but want to bake them into everything. A combination of blueberries and strawberries fill these Very Berry Muffins; they are sweetened with orange juice and honey and make a delicious way to start your day!
I particularly love how portable muffins are, you can grab one when you are running out the door or enjoy it alongside your morning eggs. They make a great snack and are super easy to customize to fit even the pickiest of eaters tastes! I also enjoy trying to make them as healthy as possible; while at other times I love baking up more of a “breakfast cupcake,” like these Brownie Muffins or Turtle Muffins.
These muffins are definitely more on the healthy side, made with flax meal, unbleached flour and sweetened with orange juice and honey; but don’t let that fool you, they are delicious. Whatever you prefer a healthy muffin or a more indulgent one, I hope you will enjoy these sweet berry muffins – happy baking!
- 1 egg
- ½ c orange juice
- ¼ c honey
- ¼ c sugar + 1 Tbs for sprinkling
- 2 Tbs water
- 1 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 Tbs flax meal
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ c blueberries
- ½ c strawberries, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and prepare a 6 well muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the egg, orange juice, honey, ¼ c sugar and water and beat well.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just moistened.
- Fold in the berries and spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
- Sprinkle on the remaining Tbs of sugar and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, or serve warm.