Happy Valentines day! Are you ready, or desperately scrambling to pull something together? I’m definitely in the later category this year, for some reason I thought I had more time to plan. Yeah right. I keep forgetting that I am still getting the hang of this whole two kids thing. Every time I make a trip to the store and think I have everything I need in the cart, inevitably once I get home and start unloading it all I realize what I forgot to buy. Does this happen to you? Please tell me I’m not alone! So just in case you’re a last minute planner like I am (sometimes) I wanted to share with you a quick and easy dessert option, chocolate strawberry shortcakes.
Tender, flaky chocolate shortcakes are topped with sweetened Greek yogurt and strawberries. I really love baking with Greek yogurt, as you can tell here in one of my favorite pie crusts and I thought it would be a nice lighter option to use Greek yogurt in place of the traditional dollop of whipped cream. If you’re feeling up to the extra richness, you can really take this dessert to the next level by using ice cream or whipped cream in place of the Greek yogurt. Top it off with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and you’ll have a truly decadent treat.
Not feeling like a dessert? The shortcakes make a great breakfast too. The “chocolate biscuits” as my daughter called them were a real winner at my house. However you decide to celebrate today, I hope you all have a wonderful Valentines, I’m off to finish my last minute shopping. Enjoy and happy baking!
- ¾ c unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ c cocoa
- ¼ c sugar + 3 Tbs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 Tbs cold butter, diced
- ¼ c Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs milk
- 2 c strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- ½ c Greek yogurt, sweetened to taste with honey
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, ¼ c sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture is a sandy texture.
- Whisk together the ¼ c Greek yogurt, egg and milk until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until just moistened.
- Scoop the batter into four equal cakes and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven carefully and cool on a wire rack.
- Toss the strawberries with the 3 Tbs of sugar and set aside.
- Slice the cakes in half and top with 2 Tbs of yogurt and strawberries, finish with the top of the shortcake and a few more berries.
- Serve immediately.