Last month some friends and I gathered to celebrate the start of the new season of Downton Abbey and part of that glorious little gathering was a delicious spread of treats. One of my favorite desserts served that night was a rich chocolate mousse, let me just say that I have always been a huge fan of chocolate mousse. I begged my friend for the recipe, but to no avail, she just wouldn’t budge! Some might think that I’d be disappointed when this occurs and sometimes I am. But in all honesty, I have warned all my family and friends many times to never share a recipe with me that they don’t want shared with you.
So while the recipe I am sharing today is not the one I’ve mentioned above, it is however, a super easy and delicious chocolate mousse that comes together rather quickly, you can make these mousse tarts in less than 30 minutes! The perfect little individual serving dessert for your Valentine’s feast or other special occasion. I really love how simple these are to make and how they make it appear as if they took great skill, plus a lot of time and effort.
Flaky pastry shells are filled with rich, chocolate mousse, which is topped with sweet cherries and chocolate shavings. If you’re not a fan of cherries, try strawberries or raspberries, or a bit more whipped cream – it’s really up to you. Whatever you decide, I just know that you are going to love these decadent, little treats. Enjoy and happy baking!
- 1½ c chocolate chips, I used milk chocolate
- 7 oz. marshmallow creme
- ¼ c water
- 8 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 12 puff pastry shells, I used Pepperidge Farms
- 12 cherries, pitted
- 3 Tbs chocolate shavings
- Bake the puff pastry shells according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan over low heat melt the marshmallow creme, chocolate chips and water until smooth, set aside to cool.
- Whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until incorporated and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Take the tops off the puff pastry shells, fill each shell with 2 Tbs of mousse, top with a cherry and chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately.
Chocolate Mousse recipe adapted from Gluten Free Almost Instant Chocolate Mousse by Carol Kicinski of Simply Gluten-Free