These Chocolate Chip Chia Oat Cookies have crispy edges with a soft, chewy center and are loaded with chia seeds, oats and chocolate chips.
Lately I have been trying to cut back on the sweets, but some days it feels like the harder I try, the more I crave chocolate! I mentioned the other day about my recent love/hate struggle with exercise, I have the desire but somedays just not the motivation. Well for the last three weeks I have been actively working out with the wonderfully, awful assistance of my Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD and let me tell you it is tough. Like really tough, want to lie down and not get up tough at some moments. I have always been a very active and huge exercise fanatic, so the last 6 months have been kind of unusual for me.
Once I determined to just workout and set myself a goal to achieve I found it easier to find the motivation I had been lacking and really succeed, it feels good to accomplish even just one workout, so when I meet my week goal I am psyched.
Of course with all this exercising I find myself starving some afternoons. So I whipped together these delicious, not terribly unhealthy cookies for those afternoons when you want a little something sweet that won’t completely undo all your hard work. I am pretty obsessed with them right now, I just ate the last couple yesterday and I am already planning on making another batch next week. This recipe is a small batch recipe, which helps keep me from over indulging. So whether you bake them for yourself or to share with friends, I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I have, happy baking!
- ¼ c coconut oil, solid
- ¼ c coconut sugar, I like Trader Joe's
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs golden flax meal
- 2 Tbs water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ c old fashioned oats
- ½ c semi-sweet chocolate chips, I like Ghirardelli (in the gold bag)
- ¼ c unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ c whole wheat flour
- ¼ c chia seeds
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 375º F and line two baking pans with parchment or baking mats.
- In a small bowl combine the flax meal and the water and set aside to gel, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer cream the coconut oil and sugars until combined.
- Add the flax mixture and the vanilla to the coconut oil mixture and combine.
- Stir together the oats, chocolate chips, flours, chia seeds, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until it just comes together.
- Using a 1 Tbs cookie scoop, place the dough 2" apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until the edges just start to crisp.
- Cool on the pan 5 minutes, transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.