Sweetened with orange juice and honey these Very Berry Muffins make a delicious way to start your day!
Muffins are my favorite breakfast food, I mean favorite! Which if you have checked out my recipe archive, then you probably already know that about me. I love all kinds of muffins, but this time of the year when fresh berries are in abundance I can’t help but want to bake them into everything. A combination of blueberries and strawberries fill these Very Berry Muffins; they are sweetened with orange juice and honey and make a delicious way to start your day!
I particularly love how portable muffins are, you can grab one when you are running out the door or enjoy it alongside your morning eggs. They make a great snack and are super easy to customize to fit even the pickiest of eaters tastes! I also enjoy trying to make them as healthy as possible; while at other times I love baking up more of a “breakfast cupcake,” like these Brownie Muffins or Turtle Muffins.
These muffins are definitely more on the healthy side, made with flax meal, unbleached flour and sweetened with orange juice and honey; but don’t let that fool you, they are delicious. Whatever you prefer a healthy muffin or a more indulgent one, I hope you will enjoy these sweet berry muffins – happy baking!
Very Berry Muffins
Yield 6 muffins
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c orange juice
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/4 c sugar + 1 Tbs for sprinkling
- 2 Tbs water
- 1 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 Tbs flax meal
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 c blueberries
- 1/2 c strawberries, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and prepare a 6 well muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the egg, orange juice, honey, 1/4 c sugar and water and beat well.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just moistened.
- Fold in the berries and spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
- Sprinkle on the remaining Tbs of sugar and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, or serve warm.
Courses breakfast, muffin
Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Natalie @ Life Made Simple says
I love muffins with berries! These look fantastic!
Thank you 🙂
Zainab @ Blahnik Baker says
Muffins are my favorite and go-to breakfasts too. I’m always looking for something I grab and eat while I drive to work. These look so delicious and moist. I love that they are on the healthier side too :). Pinned!!
These muffins look perfect! Seriously, the more berries you can stuff in a muffin, the better 🙂 You have such a great site! Really have enjoyed reading through some of it 🙂
Thank you so much Ashley, I am so happy to have you as a reader!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
These muffins look absolutely gorgeous!
THank you so much Jocelyn 🙂
These muffins look so good! I love berry muffins, they are one of my favorites! These are making me seriously want some for breakfast!!! They look delicious!
Thank you Maria, I hope you’ll try them soon!
Aimee @ ShugarySweets says
I love muffins filled with berries, these look so good. Would be perfect with my coffee this morning!
Thank you Aimee!
These muffins look awesome Emily! Berry muffins are one of my favorites and I love that you made them healthier with the flax meal, orange juice and honey – perfect for a tasty and healthy breakfast! Pinning!
thank you Kelly, they really are delicious!
Oh just look at all the berry goodness in there!! 🙂 These look amazing!!
Thank you Jocelyn!