Happy Pi(e) Day everyone! I love a good slice of pie don’t you? I’m a fruit pie fan, but occasionally I like a slice of French Silk or other type of cream pie. What’s your favorite pie? Last year you may remember that I shared this decadent Ultimate Brownie Pie, it’s a chocolate lovers dream. This year I thought it would be fun to celebrate the day with a fruit and chocolate combo, so I baked you a Dark Chocolate Strawberry Jalousie.
If you’re like me than you had no idea what a jalousie was until now, a jalousie is a French pastry that gets its name from a type of window shutter with horizontal slats. It’s made by rolling out a sheet of puff pastry and filling it with jam, I decided a little bit of chocolate couldn’t hurt either. I love chocolate croissants, so this combination seemed like a winner in my head and it is.
Layers of flaky puff pastry, with a sweet filling of strawberry jam and dark chocolate, this makes a lovely dessert when served with a scoop of ice cream or even a decadent breakfast treat. However you decide to celebrate Pi Day, sweet or savory, I hope you’ll give this jalousie a try soon. Enjoy and happy baking!
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 Tbs strawberry jam
- 2 Tbs dark chocolate chips, I used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbs sugar, I used Trader Joe's Organic Coconut Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400º F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a baking mat.
- On a floured surface roll the puff pastry out into roughly a 12"x16" rectangle.
- Slice the pastry lengthwise into two 6"x16" rectangles.
- Spread the strawberry jam over the center of one rectangle, leaving a 1" border around the edges.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the jam.
- Brush the beaten egg around the edge and top with the second 6"x16" rectangle of pastry.
- Brush the entire top surface of the pastry with the egg, sprinkle on the sugar and using a fork crimp the edges of the pastry together.
- Using a sharp knife slice 2" slits in the top of the pastry at 1" intervals.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on the pan 5 minutes, slice and serve.