Today is recipe reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club Group B! This month I was assigned the blog was Morsels of Life and I’ll admit, CJ had me stumped for a while. First I thought I was going to make marmalade, then I wanted to bake bread and I finally settled on cookies, because well, chocolate chip cookies make everything better. These Crispy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies are my adaptation of her Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Crunch Cookies.
These delicious, crispy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies have a surprise ingredient you wouldn’t expect, crispy rice cereal. I was so intrigued by the addition of cereal to the dough that I just couldn’t resist making a batch. I’m not sure if it is the humidity here in Florida or the fact that I scaled the recipe to half, but I had to add 1/3 c of extra flour to get my cookies to bake up properly. My first test batch spread way too much and although they produced a crisp wafer-like texture, they just were not what I was craving – soft, chewy, chocolate chip cookies.
I really love the texture and the flavor that these cookies deliver, I could seriously not stop eating them! I think I ate two or three in one sitting, I refuse to remember exactly. Crisp edges and a soft center makes these Crispy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies a true gem of a recipe in my book, I just know this is one cookie I will be making for years to come. Enjoy and happy baking!
Crispy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 8 Tbs butter, softened
- 1/2 c brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c oatmeal
- 3/4 c + 1 1/2 Tbs unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 5 oz chocolate chips
- 2/3 c crispy rice cereal
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter and sugars on high until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the oatmeal, flour and baking soda.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and crispy rice cereal.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and line two cookie sheets with parchment or baking mats.
- Scoop the dough into 2 Tbs portions and place 2" apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges begin to crisp and the centers are set.
- Cool on the pan 5 minutes, transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Serve, store any remaining cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
recipe adapted from Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Crunch Cookies by CJ Huang
Courses cookies, dessert
Not sure what the Secret Recipe Club is? Interested in learning more or joining? Click here for all the info.