Apple Cinnamon Danish Braid is a simple, delicious pastry filled cream cheese and cinnamon apples.
So I ran across this recipe probably 1 1/2 to 2 months ago and then it took me a few days to track it down again, because I look at so many websites daily, weekly that sometimes I don’t know what I have looked at. I’m not a cream cheese fan, but I do like cheese danish, and what could make that better than apples and cinnamon :)I will say that I didn’t make the dough, I know that makes it less impressive, but trust me it’s pretty so it was worth the cheat. You start with a can of Pillsbury original bread sticks, are you with me?
You unroll the dough and seam the two pieces horizontal together into one long rectangular dough, make sure that the ends of the dough are separated for the braiding.Next you spread the filling down the center, start with the cheese mixture and top with fruit of your choice; fresh, frozen or cooked down, like my apples & cinnamon. Then you braid the dough right to left or left to right, whatever you prefer, make sure to pinch the ends into the dough to keep all the yummy filing inside. Finally brush with egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, bake at 350º for 20 minutes. Cool and enjoy, once it’s done baking, it smells like heaven. Because I did the cinnamon sugar sprinkle on top, I opted not to do the glaze. I am sure it would be good if you want it a little sweeter or if you opted to make this a strawberry or blueberry variety, enjoy and happy baking!
Apple Cinnamon Danish Braid
Yield 6 -8 servings
for the braid:
- 6 oz of low fat cream cheese
- 1 egg - separated
- 3 tbsp of powder sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit sliced
- 1 (11 oz) tube of bread stick dough
for the glaze:
- 1/2 cup of powder sugar
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Preheat over to 350 degree F. In a bowl combined soft cream cheese, powder sugar and
- egg yolk. Mix until well combined.
- Remove breadstick dough from the tube, unroll it and separate the dough and you will have
- two rectangles. Join the dough up by placing both dough rectangles horizontally on a lightly
- greased baking sheet. Press the steam together.
- Spread cream cheese mixture onto the centre of the dough. Sprinkle the blueberry on top of
- the cream cheese. Separate the dough perforations up to the cheese mixture
- (You might need a scissors for this) Slightly pull and stretch the dough strips.
- Start from the top and bring and braid dough strip to cover the filling. Make sure to tuck
- and seal both ends of the loaf.
- Beat the egg white and brush it all over the loaf. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the loaf.
- Combined the powder sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle all over the
- cool loaf before serving.
Courses breakfast, dessert