Tender, flaky crust is filled with soft baked apples tossed in cinnamon and sugar, which makes this Apple Cinnamon Galette perfect for breakfast or dessert.
Last week we got a bag of fresh Rome apples from my mother in law, she made a quick trip back to NC to close up the family cabin and stopped by the apple orchard while she was in town. I was so excited to get some fresh picked apples to bake with! I wanted to bake some kind of pie, except I was feeling a bit lazy and a little anxious and didn’t want to wait for a full pie to bake.
So of course I decided to make a galette, more than once I have professed my love of a good galette. They are delicious, easy and can be filled with whatever fruit or veggies you have on hand. Flaky crust filled with soft baked apples tossed in cinnamon and sugar. If you love apple cinnamon you need to make yourself one of these galettes; enjoy and happy baking!
Don’t forget to enter the Thanksgiving Kitchen Tools Giveaway
Apple Cinnamon Galette
Serves: 6 servings
for the crust:
- ½ c all purpose flour
- ¼ c whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbs ice water
for the filling:
- 2 c apple, peeled and sliced - I used Rome
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- coarse sugar for topping, optional
- Preheat your oven to 425º and line a baking pan with parchment, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the flours, sugar, salt and coconut oil.
- Slowly add the ice water and using a fork stir until the dough starts to come together.
- Place the dough in the fridge to chill while you mix the filling. In a bowl toss the apple, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice to coat.
- Roll the dough out into a circle about ¼" thick and place on the lined pan.
- Arrange the apples in a circular pattern over dough and fold the edges up over the filling about ½".
- Sprinkle on the coarse sugar and bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, slice and serve.