These soft, fluffy Dinner Rolls make the perfect addition to your holiday feast!
Every year during the holidays we eagerly anticipate these dinner rolls, which have been lovingly nick-named “Sister Friddle Rolls.” Ok let me explain; for many years my mother in law and one of her best friends have traded rolls for dessert at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s there brilliant way of getting two things everyone will love without having to make two recipes, how genius is that? I’ve had this recipe tucked away since my very first Thanksgiving with my husband and his family, so I am pretty psyched to share it will you all today!
They take a little effort and a bit of patience to make, but these soft, fluffy Dinner Rolls make the perfect addition to any meal and particularly your upcoming holiday feast. Since I am a total bread fanatic, I was happy to make a batch of them for our Thanksgiving dinner. I definitely foresee making a double batch again at Christmas in a few weeks.
Recipes like these rolls are one of my favorite things about the holidays. I love sharing food with my family and friends, for me being able to do something I love and share it with those I care most about is what this time of year is all about! Did you know during the holiday season Pompeian is helping families across the country immortalize their favorite holiday recipes? Right now you can click over to Facebook.com/Pompeian or Pompeian.com to create your very own personalized bottle of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil where Pompeian is offering personalized bottles of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil complete with a customizable label and family photo.
What better way to commemorate your favorite family dish than by gifting one of these custom bottles to a loved one this holiday season. And because Pompeian Olive Oil is the first and only extra virgin olive oil to carry the USDA Quality Monitored Seal, you can rest assured that you’re giving a quality product and unique gift that your favorite foodie will love.
Make memories to treasure for years to come and try the rolls, trust me, you’re going to love them. Serve them warm with your meal or use them to make sliders with your leftover ham or turkey. However you choose to eat them I hope you’ll enjoy, happy baking!
- 1 c water, warm
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3½ c bread flour
- ¼ c sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, large
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- In a small bowl combine the warm water, yeast and 1 tsp of sugar, set aside for 5 minutes.
- To the bowl of your stand mixer add the 2½ c bread flour, sugar and salt, stir to combine.
- Add the egg, olive oil and yeast mixture and mix to combine.
- Using a wooden spoon stir in the remaining 1 c of bread flour.
- Oil a large mixing bowl and place the dough inside, turning it over to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic and place it in your oven with the light on, let the dough rise to double, about 1 hour.
- On a well floured surface roll the dough out into a large rectangle and spread the butter evenly over the surface.
- Beginning with the long side roll the dough towards you into a log.
- Cut the log of dough in half and cut each half into 9 slices.
- Stretch each slice into a flat rectangle and fold the ends into the center overlapping them.
- Place the rolls on a half sheet pan lined with parchment or a baking mat and place back in the oven to rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the oven, preheat it to 350º F and bake for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Pompeian as part of their Pantry Insiders program, all recipes and opinions are my own. #PantryInsiders