Soft pound cake with hints of lemon and vanilla bean is lightened up with the use of olive oil and Greek yogurt. #NationalOliveOilMonth #PantryInsiders
Happy August! Did you know it’s National Olive Oil Month? All month long Pompeian is encouraging people (that means you and me) to take the Pompeian Pledge and swap butter for olive oil in everyday recipes. So today I am sharing one of my very favorite recipes where I chose olive oil instead of butter, Olive Oil Pound Cake. Traditionally pound cake is all about the butter; but in this lighter version you won’t miss it at all!
Pompeian Olive Oils are perfect for using in salads, soups, sauces or marinades; they also work perfectly for sautéing, grilling, frying, roasting and baking! Baking with olive oil can be a little intimidating at first, but trust me… it’s easy and delicious. The olive oil in this cake lends a delicate taste which pairs beautifully with the subtle hints of lemon and vanilla bean. This may not be your average pound cake, but it is just as delicious and satisfying without all the added fat of butter!
What recipe will you make the swap on? I’d love to know, if you need a guidance on just how to convert butter to oil, check out this helpful chart. I sure hope you get a chance to try this Olive Oil Pound Cake soon; enjoy and happy baking!
- ½ c Extra Virgin Olive Oil, I use Pompeian
- 1½ c sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ⅛ tsp lemon oil
- ½ c Greek yogurt
- 1½ c all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 325º F and prepare a large loaf pan with olive oil and 1 Tbs of sugar dusted inside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or using a electric hand mixer cream the olive oil and sugar.
- Crack the eggs carefully to separate the whites into a clean mixing bowl.
- Add the yolks to the sugar mixture along with the vanilla bean paste and lemon oil, beat until fluffy.
- Mix together the flour and baking soda and add it to the egg mixture, alternating with the Greek yogurt.
- In a clean mixing bowl whip the egg whites until peaks form.
- Fold in the whipped egg whites gently and spread the batter into your pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan 10 minutes, then invert onto a plate and cool completely.
- Slice and serve.
You can sign up to take the pledge here and enter for a chance to win a coupon for a free bottle of Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, along with a free movie rental. All you have to do is follow along with Pompeian on Facebook, it’s that simple.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Pompeian as part of their Pantry Insiders program, all recipes and opinions are my own. #PantryInsiders