I’ve declared my love of banana bread many times before and today isn’t going to be any different, I just love it! A quick google search or a browse of Pinterest and you’ll know there are endless ways to customize it. This Coconut Banana Bread is an adaptation of my go to banana bread recipe. Better late than never, on Wednesday I saw that there was a March Recipe Madness Contest being hosted by So Delicious and Go Dairy Free, so of course I just had to enter. I love any excuse to come up with a new or revised recipe and since my sister went Vegan 3 years ago I have been trying to create more dairy-free recipes she can enjoy too!
Banana bread is one of my all time favorite breakfast foods and lately I can’t seem to get enough coconut, I’ve been baking a lot with it. I picked up a bag of coconut sugar last month and have been trying to think of the perfect way to use it. Ever since I started baking with coconut oil about 2 years ago I keep substituting it into everything. This lightly sweet, Coconut Banana Bread is soft, delicious and dairy free. Plus it’s super easy to prepare and makes a perfect breakfast or mid-day snack.
I just loved the bits of coconut in each slice, it reminded me ever so slightly of a cake, but definitely not as sweet. I bet it would be even more amazing with a bit of cooke butter or Nutella spread on a slice, I hope you’ll enjoy it too; happy baking!
- 1 Tbs flax meal mixed with 2 Tbs water
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅔ c coconut sugar
- ½ c shredded coconut
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- ⅔ c coconut milk, I used So Delicious Vanilla
- 2 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- *optional: 1 Tbs cinnamon sugar, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375º F and prepare an 8.5" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flax meal and 2 Tbs of water in a small bowl, set aside for 5 minutes to gel.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the mashed bananas, sugar, shredded coconut, coconut oil, and coconut milk.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the flax mixture into the wet ingredients, add the dry mixture and stir until it just comes together.
- Spread the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a tester comes out with just a few crumbs and the top is golden.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Slice and serve.