You’ll go bananas over this low-fat homemade banana bread that is perfect for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
I love bananas! and I love bread! So what’s not to love about banana bread? I have been making this recipe for years now, my dear grandmother once gave me a cookbook called “1,001 Low-fat Recipes” and I have been using this recipe, slightly modified, ever since.
It’s a tasty bread, that you can customize with cranberries, nuts or even chocolate chips. It can even be made into delicious little mini-muffins if you like. And since it’s low-fat you won’t feel guilty when you eat 2 or 3 slices, I just love the top crust of this bread. Now get off the computer, go to the kitchen and make this bread, because if you like bananas you’re gonna love this recipe!
Recipe type: bread, breakfast
Serves: one loaf
- 1½ c mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 egg
- 1 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ c oil
- ½ applesauce
- 2¼ c all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the banana, egg whites, sugar, vanilla, oil and applesauce.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in another bowl, stir until well mixed.
- Beating on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, beat until moist.
- Spread into the loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Banana Bread in 1,001 Low-fat Recipes