Rich, Chocolate Coconut Bread is topped with toasted coconut and filled with sweet chocolate morsels, makes a perfect breakfast or a snack anytime of day.
Last Wednesday morning I was really wanting bread for breakfast, but since I hadn’t planned ahead, it didn’t happen. So that afternoon, I got inspired and thought what if? I love chocolate and I love coconut. For the past few weeks now, an idea has been floating around in my mind, so I pulled out a ton of ingredients, mixed up this bread and viola – a new recipe was born!
If the smell of toasting coconut doesn’t get you, the finished bread will. It’s a rich, chocolatey, coconut filled loaf with sweet chocolate morsels throughout. As a breakfast or snack, this is one bread I am sure you will enjoy; happy baking!
Chocolate Coconut Bread
Yield 1 loaf
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c milk, I used almond milk
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c toasted coconut, 1/4 c reserved for topping
- 1/3 c chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375º and prepare a large loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs, brown sugar, milk, coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, sugar, toasted coconut, baking powder and salt; incorporate the dry mixture into the wet, until just moist.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and spread the batter into your pan, sprinkle the 1/4 c reserved coconut on top.
- Bake for 40-43 minutes; until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, remove to a wire rack and finish cooling.
- Slice and serve.
Courses bread, breakfast
Paula Montenegro says
What a great bread recipe! I love the combination of flavors, and that you used almond milk.
Lisa Page Rosenberg says
That looks amazing!!
Melissa Galileo says
I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit.
Emily Dicks says
Thanks ladies, I would share if I could!
That looks so tasty! If only I knew where our grocery keeps the coconut oil…
the smell of toasted coconut ALWAYS gets me! may be my favorite smell ever!
Savannah McQueen says
These look so darned good. Thanks for sharing.
Lisa @ Flour Me With Love says
This looks amazing! I love the combination of chocolate and coconut. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday 🙂
Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made says
You drew me in with this one: Two of my favorite flavors combined into one beautiful loaf!
Emily Dicks says
Thanks for stopping by! This recipe sure is tasty!
Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates says
Yum, yum, yum!! Sounds so good! 🙂
The Mandatory Mooch says
Yummy!! What a great combo of flavors. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you link up again this week. The party will be live tomorrow night. http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com