Rich, Chocolate Coconut Bread is topped with toasted coconut and filled with sweet chocolate morsels, makes a perfect breakfast or a snack anytime of day.
Last Wednesday morning I was really wanting bread for breakfast, but since I hadn’t planned ahead, it didn’t happen. So that afternoon, I got inspired and thought what if? I love chocolate and I love coconut. For the past few weeks now, an idea has been floating around in my mind, so I pulled out a ton of ingredients, mixed up this bread and viola – a new recipe was born!
If the smell of toasting coconut doesn’t get you, the finished bread will. It’s a rich, chocolatey, coconut filled loaf with sweet chocolate morsels throughout. As a breakfast or snack, this is one bread I am sure you will enjoy; happy baking!
Chocolate Coconut Bread
Recipe type: bread, breakfast
Serves: 1 loaf
- 2 eggs
- ¾ c brown sugar
- ½ c milk, I used almond milk
- ¼ c coconut oil
- ¼ c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c unbleached all purpose flour
- ¼ c granulated sugar
- ¼ c cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 c toasted coconut, ¼ c reserved for topping
- ⅓ c chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375º and prepare a large loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs, brown sugar, milk, coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, sugar, toasted coconut, baking powder and salt; incorporate the dry mixture into the wet, until just moist.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and spread the batter into your pan, sprinkle the ¼ c reserved coconut on top.
- Bake for 40-43 minutes; until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, remove to a wire rack and finish cooling.
- Slice and serve.