Enjoy all the goodness of a cup of cider without the mug for breakfast in these Apple Cider Muffins.
Last month I got an email from Savannah author of Hammock Tracks, asking me if I wanted to participate in her “Apples Galore” recipe series today. Well, if you followed along back in July (for the “4th of July” recipe series) then you probably know that I emailed her right back and said yes! I had so much fun participating back in July.
It really pushed me out of my comfort zone in blogging and forced me to set a schedule; so if you’re enjoying the new 3 posts a week schedule, you can thank Savannah for getting me motivated. Today I wanted to share a recipe for one of my favorite things, muffins and to go along with the theme, of course they are of the apple variety.
These muffins are great anytime of the year, but especially wonderful in the hot, summer months when you get a craving for apple cider. Here in Florida it is really hot in the summer, we really don’t have much of a Fall, but I love all that comes along with that time of the year! Cooler weather, jeans, cute sweaters/jackets, apples, pumpkins, my birthday and of course – Halloween.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy apples is as apple cider and since last year I think I only drank about 2 or 3 cups of it, it was a really warm winter, I had lots of leftover packets of apple cider mix. These muffins create an amazing smell when they bake and deliver all the goodness of a cup without the mug! Next time you’re craving something with apple-ly, that’s a word right? But don’t have any on hand, mix yourself up a batch of these muffins. Enjoy and happy baking!
Apple Cider Muffins
Yield 30 mini muffins
for the muffins:
- 1 c flour
- 2 packets apple cider mix, I used Alpine Apple Cider .74 oz pkgs
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c applesauce
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/8 c water
for the glaze:
- 2 Tbs of powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp of apple juice
to make the muffins:
- Preheat your oven to 375º and line a mini muffin pan with paper liners or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, apple cider mix, sugars, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the egg, applesauce, milk and water, stir until moistened; lumpy batter is ok.
- Spoon 1 Tbs of batter into each muffin well and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and a tester comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes in the pan, serve warm with glaze or without.
to make the glaze:
- In a plastic zip-top bag combine the powdered sugar and apple juice, mix until smooth.
- Snip a small hole in one corner of the bag and drizzle the muffins with glaze.