Thick, chewy peanut butter bars topped with an irresistible chocolate swirl, these Chocolate Swirl Peanut Butter Bars make a great snack everyone will love.
A couple of months ago my father in-law gave me a few cookbooks he thought I’d be interested in, one of them was The Amish Cook’s Family Favorite Recipes. If you’ve ever had the opportunity to visit a part of the U.S. where the Amish live, then you know why I was instantly excited about the book. If not, I’ll be brief and say then make some amazing food!
I was 16 when my family visited an Amish shopping district on vacation in Ohio, there was a lot of cool wooden furniture, nice antiques, delicious cheese and some of the best baked goods I have ever sampled. So naturally the first section of the cookbook I turned to was the desserts. I decided to make these “Delicious Peanut Butter Swirl Bars” for my hubs for Father’s Day last weekend, he is a big fan of the chocolate peanut butter combo.
I’m pretty sure I ended up eating more of these cookie bars than he did, I can’t resist a good soft cookie loaded with chocolate. Plus since I’m home with the kids all day every time I was in the kitchen these dang little squares called out to me. Let’s just say bake these and share as quickly as possible unless you want to lose all control and eat half a pan all by yourself.
A soft, chewy peanut butter cookie base with a generous swirl of melted chocolate, these cookie bars are sure to be a summer time treat the whole family will love. Enjoy and happy baking!
Chocolate Swirl Peanut Butter Bars
Yield 12 -16 bars
- 1/2 c peanut butter, creamy
- 4 Tbs butter, softened
- 2/3 c brown sugar
- 2/3 c sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325º F and line an 8"x8" baking pan with parchment.
- Cream together the peanut butter, butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Spread the cookie mixture evenly into the prepared pan and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and using a knife swirl the chocolate into the cookie base.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pan and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Using the edges of the parchment lift the cookie bars out of the pan and let cool on the counter for 20-30 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- Store leftover bars in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
recipe adapted from Delicious Peanut Butter Swirl Bars in The Amish Cook's Family Favorite Recipes
Courses bar, dessert, cookie bar