Vanilla Bean Sea Salt Caramels are soft, chewy and so easy to make!
It’s August Secret Recipe Club reveal day! This month I was assigned Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking, the site has a really great collection of recipes, so I had quite a hard time choosing which recipe to make. I was all set to make the Greek Yoghurt Biscuits and then I changed my mind and opted to make a batch of these Home Made Caramels.
I am kind of a caramel addict. Shocking I know, but I have been known to eat more than my fair share of those addicting little Kraft caramels in the plastic wrappers. It’s probably been about 4 years since the last time I made a batch of caramel, the last time being a very precise recipe including the use of a candy thermometer.
So I was pretty psyched when I found out this recipe was quick and painless. Microwave caramel ready in just over an hour, with no standing over a hot stove… yes please! Since right now it’s summer time with temperatures ranging in the high 90’s, this microwave Vanilla Bean Sea Salt Caramel is something I will definitely be making again soon.
The addition of vanilla bean to the caramels is the only change I made to the recipe, because in my world everything is better with a little vanilla. Especially vanilla bean, I just love the little flecks of brown contrasted by the sea salt. I hope you get a chance to try it too, enjoy!
- ½ c butter
- ½ c brown sugar
- ½ c white sugar
- ½ c corn syrup
- ½ c sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tsp sea salt, for topping
- Generously butter an 8"x8" baking pan and set aside.
- In a large glass mixing bowl melt the butter in the microwave.
- Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir the mixture and return to the microwave for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir the mixture once more and cook for an additional minute.
- Carefully remove the mixture from the microwave and stir in the vanilla bean paste.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle on the sea salt.
- Let cool completely (about an hour or so) slice and serve.
- Wrap the cut caramel in wax or parchment paper to store and place in an airtight container.
If you want to learn more about the Secret Recipe Club or are interested in joining, check out all the details here.