These soft Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are bursting with peppermint flavor and topped with bits of crushed candy canes and chocolate, making them the perfect festive treat to celebrate the season with.
Hey guys, I’m back! Or at least I am slowly easing back into sharing my favorite recipes with you. I never dreamed that I would take 9 months off from blogging, but let me tell you what adding two babies to our family has been an adventure. My boys are such happy, sweet, loving little guys, so we couldn’t have asked for a better set of twins, but it hasn’t been an easy road. Going from a family of 4 to 6 overnight was quite an adjustment, but we are doing well. The older kids love the babies and we have settled into a pretty good routine and can’t wait to celebrate the holidays with family.
Speaking of celebrating these Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are just what you need to get you in the holiday spirit. Your family and friends will love these minty, chocolate chip cookie bars drizzled with chocolate and Santa will too!
Not only do these taste fantastic, they look way more fancy than the effort they require to make, which is always a plus in my opinion. A peppermint twist on the classic chocolate chip cookie, only easier because we’re eliminating the need to scoop and bake multiple batches. I love baking for family and friends this time of year and cookie bars are the perfect way to save a bit of time without sacrificing flavor.
Chocolate and peppermint combine perfectly in these soft cookie bars, which are sure to make you one popular baker this time of year. Enjoy and happy baking!
- ¾ c butter, softened
- ¼ c shortening
- 1 c brown sugar
- ¾ tsp tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, extra large
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- ½ c miniature chocolate chips
- ¼ c crushed peppermint candy, I used candy canes
- 2 Tbs semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbs crushed peppermint candy
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and line a 9"x9" baking pan with parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and shortening together.
- Add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, egg, vanilla and peppermint extract, beat until fluffy.
- Stir in the flour until the dough comes together, fold in the mini chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candy.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 16-18 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Let cool in the pan completely.
- To a small microwave safe bowl add the 2 Tbs of chocolate chips and coconut oil, melt for 30 seconds, stir until smooth.
- Using the edges of the parchment remove the cookie slab from the pan and slice into 12 equal squares.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top and sprinkle on the 1 Tbs of crushed peppermint candy.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.