Fresh lemon is paired with a tender poppy seed crust in these irresistibly delicious, citrus packed Lemon Poppy Seed Bars.
Winter in Florida is citrus season and that means we are blessed with an abundance of fresh produce, it just so happens to be my favorite perk of having family that works in the industry. Plus the kids love a chance to visit grandpa at his office, go for a ride on the tractor and pick a few oranges.
I absolutely adore lemon baked goods, especially lemon poppy seed muffins – I have no control around good muffins! This power combo of lemon and poppy seeds make a great fun recipe that is perfect for parties or your next tea time. Thick, fresh lemon filling is dusted with powered sugar that sits atop a delicious poppy seed shortbread crust.
If you love all things lemon, like I do, then I just know you’re going to love these bars. There is just something about January and the cold that makes me instantly crave a nice big lemon bar for dessert. I hope you’ll enjoy them too, happy baking!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bars
Yield 12 bars
for the crust:
- 1/4 lb butter, softened
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 c flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tbs poppy seeds
for the filling:
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c flour
- 3 extra large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 c lemon juice
- 1 Tbs lemon zest
- powdered sugar for topping
- Line an 8"x8" baking pan with foil and prepare with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, salt and poppy seeds and press the dough into the prepared pan.
- Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes or the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and bake the crust for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove carefully from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Stir together the sugar and flour, beat in the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 30-35 minutes until set in the center.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool completely.
- Slice into squares, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- Store any remaining lemon bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
want more lemony goodness?