It’s Pass the Cookbook time again. I had so much fun in February, but I skipped last month due to lack of planning, I know lame! So I am super psyched to be participating again this month and sharing the recipe for these delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Thumbprint cookies.
When I saw that the book for this month was Breakfast for Dinner by Lindsay Landis and Taylor Hackbarth of Love & Olive Oil, I knew that it was going to be a hard decision on which recipe to choose. We are huge Brinner fans in my house, like we used it eat it once a week before the kids were born. But ultimately my decision was made easier when I saw the cookie recipe.
Last summer I made this super easy and extremely tasty lime curd, so I decided to try it again as lemon and go for the the lemon poppy seed thumbprints. Ever since I started liking cookies last year, I just can’t seem to get enough of them! Boy am I glad I made them. Soft, buttery cookies filled with poppy seeds and a dollop of lemon curd; I just know you will love them too. Enjoy and happy baking!
Lemon Poppy Seed Thumbprints
Yield 2 dozen cookies
- For the curd:
- 1/2 c lemon juice
- 1/4 c water
- 2/3 c sugar
- 2 Tbs corn starch
- 2 Tbs almond milk
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- zest of one lemon
- pinch of salt
- For the cookies:
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1?2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- For the curd*:
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine the lemon juice, water, sugar, corn starch, salt and zest; whisk until the mixture boils.
- Cook for an addition minute undisturbed, it should turn clear and be thicker.
- Remove from the heat and add the almond milk and coconut oil, whisk until the mixture is smooth. Pour the curd into a glass jar and let cool to room temperature, store in the fridge.
- For the cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 375º F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer on medium-high, beat together the butter and sugar until
- light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Next add the flour, salt and poppy seeds, mix until the dough starts to come together.
- Form the dough into 1" balls and arrange them on the baking sheets.
- Flatten each ball slightly with your thumb, leaving an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from oven (if the indentations look shallow, re-indent with the back of a spoon)
- Fill each thumbprint with 1/2 tsp of lemon curd.
- Bake for an additional 3-4 minutes, until the curd is set and the edges of cookies are lightly golden. Cool on the pan 5 minutes and transfer to wire racks to cool completely, serve.
recipe adapted from Lemon Poppy Seed Thumbprints in Breakfast for Dinner*Lemon Curd yields 1 cup
Courses cookies, dessert
Plus you can enter to win your own copy of Breakfast for Dinner!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Check out the other delicious recipes this month in the club: