Lemon Poppy Seed Bars
Yield 12 bars
for the crust:
- 1/4 lb butter, softened
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 c flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tbs poppy seeds
for the filling:
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c flour
- 3 extra large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 c lemon juice
- 1 Tbs lemon zest
- powdered sugar for topping
- Line an 8"x8" baking pan with foil and prepare with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, salt and poppy seeds and press the dough into the prepared pan.
- Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes or the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and bake the crust for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove carefully from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Stir together the sugar and flour, beat in the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture over the crust and bake for 30-35 minutes until set in the center.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool completely.
- Slice into squares, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- Store any remaining lemon bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Recipe by It Bakes Me Happy at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2017/01/lemon-poppy-seed-bars.html