Welcome to the third annual #BrunchWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Shaina from Take A Bite Out Of Boca. It’s the second recipe of Brunch week here on It Bakes Me Happy and you are probably already familiar with how much I love breakfast! Thanks for joining us as we celebrate Brunch all this week and prepare for Mother’s Day. 30 Bloggers from around the country are showcasing their best brunch dishes – from cocktails to casseroles, breakfast breads, sandwiches and salads; there’s a little something for everyone.
Like these rich, decadent Double Chocolate Sweet Rolls. They are the perfect sweet treat for the chocolate lover in your life and a great way to help you celebrate mom this Mother’s Day.
I’ve been planning these sweet rolls for months now and I am finally happy to share the recipe today! When I found out that Brunch Week sponsor Pacari Chocolate was going to be sending a sampling of their fine organic chocolates and Nielsen-Massey would be sending me a bottle of their Pure Chocolate Extract, I knew it was finally time to make this dream a reality.
Dixie Crystals is also generously sponsoring Brunch Week, so I whipped up a quick icing to top these delicious little beauties with. The Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese icing helps to cut the sweetness of the rich chocolate filling, I ate 3 of these the day I baked them – they are divine! Everyone knows mom’s love chocolate, so this year skip the cheesy boxed chocolates and bake her up a batch of these Double Chocolate Sweet Rolls, they are definitely worth every calorie.
Tender, fluffy chocolate rolls are filled with a buttery chocolate mixture and topped with a lightly sweet vanilla bean cream cheese icing, these are sure to be a hit with the chocolate lovers, enjoy and happy baking!
Double Chocolate Sweet Rolls
Yield 12 rolls
for the dough:
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 1/4 c Dixie Crystals sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 c water
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract
- 1 egg
for the filling:
- 1 c finely chopped Pacari Raw Chocolate 70% Cacao
- 1/2 c Dixie Crystals dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbs butter, softened
for the icing:
- 1 c Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 Tbs milk
- 1/2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- In the bowl of your strand mixer add the flour, sugar, salt and yeast, stir to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the water, milk and butter, heat for 1 minute over high power.
- Using the dough hook, gradually add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, add the egg and knead over medium/low speed for 4-5 minutes; the dough will be slightly sticky.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl coated with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap.
- Turn your oven light on and place the bowl inside to let the dough rise while you make the filling.
- In a bowl stir together the 1/2 c brown sugar and 3 Tbs of softened butter, stir in the finely chopped chocolate.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle (a little extra flour will keep it from sticking to your counter).
- Spread the filling mixture evenly over the surface of the dough, leaving about an inch all the way around.
- Starting with the long side roll the dough towards yourself and pinch the seam to seal.
- Slice the log in half and then slice each half into six equal pieces.
- Spray a large pie pan or 9"X13" baking pan with cooking spray and arrange the rolls in the pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and return the pan to the oven (keep the light on) to rise for about 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- After the rolls have risen, remove from the oven and discard the plastic wrap.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and bake for 25-28 minutes, until lightly golden at the edges.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and let cool about 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl stir together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla bean paste to form an icing.
- Spread the icing over the rolls and serve warm.
Courses breakfast, dessert, brunch
Plus don’t forget to enter the Sponsor Giveaway
Come see what today’s #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating!
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
60 Minute Cinnamon Rolls from Love and Confections.
Chocolate and Walnut Challah from The Little Ferraro Kitchen.
Braided Ham and Cheddar Bread from Sarcastic Cooking.
Pear Oatmeal Crème Brûlée from The Spiffy Cookie.
Tattie Scones with Cheddar and Chives from The Redhead Baker.
Chocolate Chip Flaxseed Waffles from Hip Foodie Mom.
Chile Relleno Quiche from Cooking in Stilettos.
Double Chocolate Sweet Rolls from It Bakes Me Happy.
Sour Cream Streusel Coffee Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Granola from Baking a Moment.
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Harissa Chorizo Hash from greens & chocolate.
Smoked Salmon Canapes with Whipped Chive Cream Cheese from The Suburban Soapbox.
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Kinpura Gobo from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Tropical Fruit Salad with Vanilla and Lime from Healthy Delicious.
Beet and Heirloom Carrot Rosti with Creme Fraiche and Caviar from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner.
Carrot Salad from My Catholic Kitchen.
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Bob’s Red Mill, Cabot Creamery Cooperative, California Walnuts, Dixie Crystals, Grimmway Farms/Cal-Organic/True Juice, KitchenAid, Le Creuset, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Pacari Chocolate, Stonyfield Organic, Vidalia Onions, and Woot Froot for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.