Spicy, sweet Gingerbread Cookies are made festive for the perfect holiday snack to share with family and friends.
Happy Black Friday. Man am I glad I decided to do my shopping online and skip the early morning trip to the stores, it’s just way too chilly outside for me today! It’s probably not even half as cold here in Florida as it is in most places, but my super thin blood just can’t take cold weather. My family braved the cooler temperatures for a quick trip to get some donuts, while I stayed behind to take a few pictures of next week’s post and do a little cleaning up around the house.
Today I am sharing another recipe re-do with you all, Gingerbread Cookies, a festive holiday classic the whole family will love! Now you all know how much I love to bake, obviously, I mean I named this blog after it. But I have another confession… I’m not much of a decorator of baked goods. I could spend all day in the kitchen baking up delicious treats, but when it comes time to make them look cute, well that’s someone else’s territory. Luckily I borrowed these super cute Tovolo Gingerbread People Cookie Cutters and I have this awesome OXO 8 Piece Bakers Silicone Decorating Kit that was perfect for decorating the cookies.
It took me about 30 minutes just to decorate 6 of these adorable cuties, but oh was it worth it! These little ladies and gents were a big hit with the kids at our Thanksgiving dinner last night. Of course I think I served more undecorated cookies than decorated. Whether you serve them at your Christmas party, dinner or share them with friends in a cookie exchange, I bet you’ll love them too. Enjoy and happy baking!
For the cookies:
- 1/4 c butter, softened
- 1/4 c shortening
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
For the icing:
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat together the butter and shortening.
- Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, then beat in the molasses and vanilla.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, ginger, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until it comes together in a dough.
- Divide the dough into two sections, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and line two baking pans with parchment or baking mats, set aside.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8" thick, using cookie cutters and cut out the gingerbread men.
- Place 1" apart on the baking pans and bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks and cool completely.
- Decorate the cookies with icing and sprinkles as desired and serve.
- Store remaining cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Courses cookie, dessert
Craving more holiday recipes? Try these