Warm up your day with a bowl of Chicken Tortellini Soup, creamy broth filled with shredded chicken, cheese tortellini, carrots, broccoli and corn.
Only in Florida can you start the week with temperatures in the 50’s, then have a couple of 80º days followed by more 50º weather. With that said I love soup, so I take full advantage of those rare cold days we have and make a big old batch to warm us up right. I’m pretty sure if we lived somewhere cold I would completely exist on soup and hot chocolate during the fall and winter months.
When it comes to homemade soup my go to is always chicken, there is just something so comforting about chicken soup. My husband isn’t the biggest fan of soup for dinner, so I usually try to make it a heartier soup to satisfy his need for a more filling meal. Filled with shredded chicken, cheese tortellini and lots of veggies, this is one soup your whole family can enjoy.
Of course in my opinion soup is always better when served with a side of grilled cheese, which I highly recommend here. Grilled cheese or not, for lunch or for dinner I hope you’ll enjoy this soup as much as we have!
Chicken Tortellini Soup
Yield 8 servings
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1/4 c diced onion
- 14 oz vegetable broth
- 4 c water
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 2 c frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 c corn
- 1 c chopped carrots
- 1 c broccoli florets
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium high heat melt the butter, add the flour and onions and cook until opaque.
- Add the vegetable broth, water and heavy cream, stirring to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then add the corn, carrots and broccoli.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook the soup for a minimum of 30 minutes, adding the tortellini and chicken during the last 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve warm.
You may want to cook the soup longer to achieve your desired level of softness with the vegetables.
Courses soup, main dish
Want more soup recipes? Try these