A hearty, filling soup loaded with vegetables and lots of comforting chicken flavor, this Chicken Vegetable Soup is sure to warm you up from the cold.
Tuesday I went to visit my dad while he was housesitting for my aunt and uncle, it was a nice visit and he made me soup for lunch. Let me just say that if you are as lucky as I am to have a dad or a husband who likes to cook, just as my father does, then you are blessed. My dad makes the best soup! When I was a kid during the winter months he would cook up large pots of vegetable soup, chili and a variety of other delicious warm meals.
I was excited to try his latest variation on vegetable soup, chicken and boy was it good! He even sent my daughter and I home with a to go serving of soup so I didn’t have to make dinner = score. Whether its barely cooled down outside or you’re surrounded by snow, I recommend stirring up a pot of this delicious soup for dinner. You can half the recipe for smaller families or switch up the veggies to suit your taste, plus the leftovers freeze well too. A big thanks to my dad for letting me steal his recipe, love you. It’s a hearty, filling soup full of vegetables and rich chicken flavor; so try it tonight, I hope you’ll enjoy!
Chicken Vegetable Soup
Recipe type: main dish, soup
Serves: 12 servings
- 1 whole chicken, cut up and fat trimmed
- 6-8 c water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 small onions, diced
- ½ small head cabbage, shredded
- 2 c green beans, fresh
- 1½ c corn, frozen
- 1 c peas, frozen
- 2 cubes of chicken bullion
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large frying pan cook the chicken over high heat for 3-5 minutes, reduce the heat to medium and cover with a small amount of water and the lid, cook for 20 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes, cool the chicken completely and remove skin, debone and chop the meat.
- Transfer the cooking liquids from the chicken pan to an 8 qt. cooking pot, add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, cabbage and green beans, cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add the frozen corn, peas, chicken bullion and salt and pepper, simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.