Chicken Vegetable Soup
Yield 12 servings
- 1 whole chicken, cut up and fat trimmed
- 6-8 c water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 2 c green beans, fresh
- 1 1/2 c corn, frozen
- 1 c peas, frozen
- 2 cubes of chicken bullion
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large frying pan cook the chicken over high heat for 3-5 minutes, reduce the heat to medium and cover with a small amount of water and the lid, cook for 20 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes, cool the chicken completely and remove skin, debone and chop the meat.
- Transfer the cooking liquids from the chicken pan to an 8 qt. cooking pot, add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, cabbage and green beans, cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add the frozen corn, peas, chicken bullion and salt and pepper, simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Courses main dish, soup