Satisfying, hearty Broccoli Cheese Soup is loaded with veggies and makes a perfect dinner for the cool winter weather.
I love soup, I could probably eat it everyday! I especially love how it fills you up and makes you feel all warm and satisfied. But alas, I live in Florida and we only have a couple of weeks of real “soup weather” around here. So I take full advantage of the cold days to enjoy a nice hot bowl of soup. Last week were having a couple of those days in a row and so I whipped up a batch of this tasty soup for dinner one night.
Anytime I can get my husband to eat soup for dinner without a side of meat is a success. He’s not really a soup is a main dish kind of guy, but I LOVE it. This delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup is loaded with veggies and of course cheddar cheese. Broccoli, carrots and spinach combine with cheddar to make a truly satisfying soup that is sure to fill your soup craving – I hope you’ll enjoy!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Yield 6 -8 servings
- 4 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1/2 c carrots, shredded
- 1/4 c onion, diced
- 2 c water
- 2 c milk
- 1 14 oz bag frozen broccoli
- 1/2 c baby spinach
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the carrots and onions, cook until softened.
- Add the flour and stir to coat.
- While string add the water and milk, then add the broccoli and spinach, cook for 25-30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add the shredded cheese and salt and pepper and using an immersion blender (or work in batches using a standard blender) puree the soup to desired consistency.
- Serve warm.
Courses main dish, soup
Love soup? Here’s a few more flavors to keep you filled and warm: