Delicious, Chocolate Almond Muffins are studded with almonds, cranberries and chocolate chips and make a great breakfast treat.
My November Secret Recipe Club assignment was Jane’s Adventures in Dinner. First off can I just say how beautiful Jane’s site is – yummy recipes, gorgeous photos and she lives in Canada (somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit)! Jane has quite the affinity to muffins and if you have been reading It Bakes Me Happy for any amount of time, then you probably already know my obsession with muffins. Of course once I spotted her Toasted Almond Chocolate Muffins, I knew I had to have them! I’ve never had currants but I had some dried cranberries on hand so I decided to use those instead.I had to add some almond milk to my batter since I scaled the recipe and used Greek yogurt, it was too dry without it. We loved the resulting muffins – delicious, chocolate muffins studded with almonds, cranberries and chocolate chips; these are a real breakfast treat! I may or may not have eaten two the night I baked them, I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as we did; happy baking!
Chocolate Almond Muffins
Recipe type: Breakfast, muffin
Serves: 9 muffins
- 1 egg, extra large
- ½ c Greek yogurt
- ½ c almond milk
- 2½ Tbs dutch cocoa
- ⅓ c sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 c flour
- ½ c toasted almonds, chopped (reserve 1 Tbs for topping) I used Emerald cinnamon roasted
- ½ c dark chocolate chips
- ½ c dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line a standard muffin tin with 9 paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and flour.
- Stir in the almonds, chocolate chips and dried cranberries and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, Greek yogurt and almond milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until the batter just comes together.
- Spoon the batter into the paper liners about ⅔ full and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely and serve.
Recipe adapted from Toasted Almond Chocolate Muffins by Jane's Adventures in Dinner