It’s been a couple of months since I’ve participated in Secret Recipe Club, I decided to give myself a mini break from the fun the first few months with a newborn. The time off was nice, but I missed out on the fun of discovering new blogs and recipes so I just had to come back for August! This month I was assigned Sarah’s Kitchen and after some serious browsing I just knew I wanted to make a version of these Egg, Bacon and Cheese Tarts she shared last spring.
Lately I’ve been obsessed with spinach, I have been putting it in everything practically! So it should come as no surprise that I added a little to my tarts as well. These flaky, delicious breakfast tarts are a winning combination of bacon, egg, cheese and spinach that you are going to love.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 c shredded cheese, I used Monterey Jack
- 4 eggs
- ½ c fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface roll out the puff pastry into about a 12" square.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal squares and fold the edges into a circular tart shape.
- Place the tart shells on the baking pan and prick the bottom of the dough with a fork, bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes, place spinach into the bottom of each shell and sprinkle ¼ c cheese on top.
- Make an indentation in the center of the cheese for the egg, arrange the bacon around the inside edge of the tart and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the yolk of the egg is set.
- Remove carefully from the oven and cool 5 minutes on the pan, serve warm.