Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
Yield 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 3 c flour
- 1/3 c corn starch
- 2 c sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 c cocoa powder, I used Nestle
- 2 c warm water
- 3 eggs, extra large
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
For the chocolate buttercream:
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 c powdered sugar, you can always add more if you add too much milk
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 3-4 Tbs milk
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line 2, 12 muffin cup pans with paper liners.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add the flour, corn starch, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt, stir to combine.
- In a large bowl add the cocoa powder to the warm water and carefully stir until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until moistened.
- Fill each paper liner 3/4 full and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- After a tester comes out clean, remove the cupcakes from the oven and cool completely.
To make the buttercream:
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter until fluffy, add the sugar, cocoa, vanilla, salt and milk 1 Tbs at a time until desired consistency.
- Frost the cupcakes and serve.
Recipe adapted from Birthday Cupcakes by Stephanie Greenleigh