Happy Friday ya’ll! I am so excited today to be sharing this Vanilla Gummy Bear Birthday Cake, that I made last weekend for my daughter’s 3rd birthday celebration. Let me just start by explaining that she is obsessed with birthdays, I’m talking completely! For every party that we have attended over the last 6 months she had been making a mental checklist of all things that a birthday party “is”. Balloons, decorations, party blowers, favors, ice cream and most importantly CAKE!
We started planning her party back in January, every morning for about two months straight we would browse Pinterest for birthday cake inspiration. Like most small kids, she oohed and aahed over practically every cake we saw and she changed her mind about what she wanted a half a dozen times or so. Until one day when we found it, the cake that she finally decided was the one!
And so like any good mother with a food blog, I knew it had to be 1. everything she was hoping and dreaming about for all those months and 2. something fun and new that I could share with my fantastic readers. I am going to go right out and say it, the gummy bears do make it hard to slice this cake, but they also make a fun addition that all the kids loved. I wish I could say that I had everything ready for the party early that morning, but the truth is I had to take a sick baby to see the doctor when I should have been decorating the house and cake, so I had to dash around like a mad woman just to get things finished in time!
Crazy morning aside, it was a great day and everyone had a good time at the party. This soft, buttery vanilla cake is layered with homemade vanilla buttercream and frosted completely and then decorated with enough gummy bears to make anyone smile. I hope you’ll enjoy this Vanilla Gummy Bear Birthday Cake as much as our party guests and the birthday girl did, happy baking!
Vanilla Gummy Bear Birthday Cake
for the cake:
- 2 c cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 16 Tbs butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 c sugar
- 3 eggs, extra large
- 1 Tbs vanilla
for the frosting:
- 16 Tbs butter, room temperature
- 6 c powdered sugar
- 5-6 Tbs milk
- 2 Tbs vanilla
- 2 9 oz bags of gummy bears, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and prepare two 8" cake pans with cooking spray and flour.
- In a small mixing bowl sift the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer cream the butter until creamy, add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition, then add the vanilla.
- On low speed add the flour mixture and mix to blend.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake for 23-28 minutes until golden and the top springs to the touch.
- Cool in the pan 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter until light and fluffy, add the powdered sugar 1 c at a time, alternating with the vanilla and milk until your desired consistency is achieved.
- I like to beat the frosting about 5 minutes for a nice fluffy texture.
- Once the cakes are cooled spread 1/4 of the frosting evenly on top of one cake round and
- top with the second cake layer; spread the remaining frosting over the entire cake and top with gummy bears.
Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.