Yield 6 regular bagels or 12 mini bagels
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1 c water, warm
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast = 1 packet
- 1 1/2 Tbs sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs sugar, for boiling water
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine 1 1/2 c of flour and the yeast.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar and salt into the warm water, add the water mixture into the stand mixer and stir on medium/low for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining flour and stir it in with a wooden spoon, transfer the dough to a clean, floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until elastic.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut into 6 (or 12 for mini) equal pieces.
- Shape the dough into balls and push a hole in the middle of each circle, gently pulling the hole to about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Place the bagels on a baking sheet lined with parchment, cover with a towel and let rise 20 minutes, after the dough rises, broil the bagels for 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the last 1 Tbs of sugar, cook the bagels 3-4 at a time in the pot for 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the bagels and drain on paper towels, place the dry bagels back onto the parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375º for 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Bagels in Better Homes & Gardens: Complete Step-By-Step Cook Book
Courses breakfast, bread