I made these Lemon Burst Cupcakes a couple of weeks ago while some friends were in town visiting, I have a tendency to bake whenever they come to visit. Last time I made cherry almond brownies, so I knew this time I wanted to make something a little different. This soft, lemon cake is flavored with lemon zest and lemon oil and topped with a lemon cream cheese icing. These cupcakes were just the change we needed, as I sent our friends off with some to go, her husband smiled and admitted he probably wouldn’t get to eat any of them. Sharing is hard sometimes…
Especially when it comes to cupcakes. These Lemon Burst Cupcakes are bursting with bright fresh lemon flavors and are the perfect Easter or Spring-time treat.
I even made some mini cupcakes. I don’t know about you, but I just can’t resist a miniature dessert. I mean, look how incredibly cute they turned out, I sure hope you’ll enjoy them too; happy baking!
Lemon Burst Cupcakes
Yield 12 standard cupcakes, or 36 mini cupcakes
for the cupcakes:
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp lemon oil
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 c milk
- zest of 1 lemon
for the icing:
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- *lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line a 12 well muffin tin with paper liners (or a mini muffin pan with 24 mini liners).
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla and lemon oil, beat until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mixing at low speed alternate the wet ingredients with the dry; until the batter just comes together. Fold in the lemon zest and fill each paper liner 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden on top, 12-14 minutes for mini cupcakes.
- Cool completely, frost, top with lemon slices and serve.
Courses cupcake, dessert