If you know me at all, then you know that I recently embraced my inner Cookie Monster and I have been baking cookies quite a lot over the last 6 months. I love the soft, flaky texture of these butter cookies, I’m not much of an almond extract fan, so I opted to double the vanilla instead and even made half the batch with finely chopped almonds. However you decide to bake them, I just know you are going to love these cookies too; enjoy and happy baking!
Kourabiethes: Christmas Cookie Recipe Swap 2013
Yield 3 dozen cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 c butter, softened
- ½ c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ c almonds, finely chopped (optional)
- powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment or baking mats.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and the egg until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until well blended.
- Add vanilla and mix well, if adding almonds stir in until incorporated.
- With your hands, form the dough, about 1 Tbs at a time, into balls.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart from one another on the cookie sheet.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake 15-18 minutes or until barely brown around the edges.
- Remove from the cookie sheet with a spatula and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- With a flour sifter, sift powdered sugar over the cookies, or a plastic bag will work just fine too. Serve and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Kourabiethes by White Lights on Wednesday
Courses cookies, dessert