These crunchy, homemade Pumpkin Cheddar Crackers make a delicious snack any time of day.
“I need fish mama” is a phrase I hear on a daily basis. I have a sweet little toddler with an affinity to goldfish crackers, which are frequently her snack of choice. It kind of makes me cringe at times – I was one of those super picky moms when she was smaller and I never let her eat things that. I would go to two stores to find her organic “healthier” snacks and would kindly decline things like candy, gummies or goldfish when we were out with friends. She was almost 2 years old before I let my husband take her to a fast food restaurant and that was Chick-Fil-A so I felt a little better that at least it was real chicken.
It’s funny how things change in such a short amount of time. Once I was in the not so fabulous part of this last pregnancy and didn’t have the extra energy to be so hyper-mom about her diet, I gave in and let her get the goldfish and occasional ice cream. I know there are a ton of worse foods that she could be eating, just as there is a lot of much healthier options as well.
Lately I have been wanting to try my hand at making crackers and so I thought, just go for it. I had some leftover pumpkin sitting in the fridge and thought it would be a fun addition to the crackers. I know what you are thinking, another pumpkin recipe? Yes! The crackers turned out delicious! We baked half of the dough the first day and ate every last cracker. “I need more crackers mama!” was my daughters response and since I made them myself and knew exactly what is in them I felt better about letting her have seconds. Of course the next day we just had to bake the other half of the dough, no use letting good crackers go un-baked.
Crunchy, cheese and pumpkin flavored crackers that will have you reaching for another until they’re all gone. Trust me, you’re going to love them, I know we sure did! Enjoy and happy baking.
Pumpkin Cheddar Crackers
Recipe type: snack
Serves: About 16 dozen crackers
- ½ stick butter, room temperature
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ¼ c sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ c pumpkin
- 1⅓ c flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbs cold water
- In the bowl of your stand mixer cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in the shredded cheese and pumpkin, mixing until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt and water and beat until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375º and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out ⅛" thick, using a knife cut the dough into ½" squares and place on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden, cool completely and serve.
Recipe adapted from Homemade Cheez-Its by Casey Barber of Good. Food. Stories.