Sprinkled with Parmesan on top these little zucchini cheese bites are soft, hearty and satisfying and perfect with a side of marinara sauce!
A couple of weeks ago I bought some zucchini to make these burgers and the leftovers kind of got forgotten in the back of the vegetable drawer. I was searching for something to make along with our dinner last night and decided some muffins sounded really good.
I love zucchini recipes, especially how versatile it is for sweet or savory creations. These little bites of zucchini and cheese are soft, hearty and satisfying – sprinkled with Parmesan on top or dipped in marinara sauce this is one recipe you don’t want to miss! For your next get together, movie night or dinner side dish, I hope you’ll whip up a batch of these bites; enjoy and happy baking!
Zucchini Cheese Bites
Recipe type: appetizer, bread
Serves: 3 dozen bites
- 2 zucchini, small
- ½ c Italian blend cheese, shredded (we like Sargento)
- ¾ c applesauce (you can use oil, but I like the moistness it provides)
- 1 egg
- 1¼ c all purpose flour
- 1¼ c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbs grated Parmesan, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350º and prepare a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl grate the zucchini, add the cheese and applesauce, stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir until moist, spoon 1 tsp of batter into each well of the muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan on the tops of the batter and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes in pan, then remove and serve warm.