Turn your leftover pizza dough into something unexpected with these pumpkin cinnamon rolls topped with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
When I found out this month my Secret Recipe Club assignment was Miz Helen’s Country Cottage of course I was excited – she is so sweet! I’ll admit, I had a hard time choosing what to make, there were so many things I wanted to try. I decided to go with pizza, we love pizza and my toddler is a big fan of cheese pizza. So I mixed up a batch of this super easy dough and we made individual pizzas for lunch. I had half a batch of dough chilling in the fridge still when the thought came to me what if?
What if I used my leftover pumpkin purée with some cinnamon and sugar; spread it over the dough and rolled it up, sliced it and baked some rolls? I’ve been experimenting lately with making my own cinnamon rolls with whatever dough I may have on hand. The result is not your typical cinnamon roll, but absolutely delicious. I used the same frosting I shared last week when I made Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. The combination of pumpkin and cinnamon topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting is a real winner. Enjoy and happy baking!
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe type: breakfast, sweet roll
Serves: 2 dozen rolls
For the dough:
- 1 c warm water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1 Tbs honey
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2½ c all purpose flour
- ½ c whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 1 c pumpkin purée
- ½ c sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbs butter, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs milk
- 2 c powdered sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook add the water, yeast and honey; let bloom for 5 minutes.
- Next add the oil, flours and salt; mix at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Turn the dough into a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350º and spray two standard muffin tins with baking spray.
- In a bowl mix together the pumpkin purée, sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle and spread the pumpkin mixture evenly over the surface. starting at the long end roll the dough into a log.
- Cut the log in half and then divide each half into 12 slices.
- Place one slice in each well of the muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Remove carefully from the oven and cool 5 minutes. I
- n the bowl of your stand mixer beat the cream cheese and butter until pale, add the vanilla, cinnamon, milk and mix.
- Add the powdered sugar at low speed and mix until smooth.
- Spread the frosting over the slightly cooled rolls and serve.
Recipe adapted from Pizza Dough by Miz Helen’s Kitchen