Confession… something has happened to me in the last six months and I now love chocolate chip cookies! Shocking I know, to hear this statement coming from someone who once professed their disdain for cookies. I don’t know if it was the pregnancy or the chocolate? but I keep trying different recipes in search of the “perfect” cookie, I like mine soft, slightly chewing and loaded with chips. I can’t seem to stop wanting chocolate chip cookies, but lately I have been trying to cut back on the amount of chocolate I eat. This baby weight won’t lose itself and as the author of a baking blog I feel I am at a slight disadvantage. However I do believe in eating the things you love in moderation and a piece of chocolate a day is good for your health in my opinion.
These cookies came to be a couple of weekends ago when I needed something to bribe some helpers with, we had a piano given to us and needed some muscle to get in into the house. Dozens of cookies later our three helpers and my husband moved to piano in and they left happy with bags full of these delicious cookies. Soft centers with slightly crisp edges these cookies are filled with bits of chocolate and oats – they are sure to satisfy your cravings and mine. Enjoy and happy baking!
- ¾ c butter, softened
- ¼ c shortening, I used Crisco
- 1 c brown sugar, packed
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ c all purpose flour
- 1 c oats, I used old fashioned
- 12 oz mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line baking pans with parchment, set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer cream the butter and shortening for a minute, then add the brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Beat until combined; scrape down the mixture and add the eggs and vanilla and beat 30 seconds. Add the flour and oats and beat until it comes together, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop 1 Tbs of the dough onto the parchment, spaced 2" apart and bake for 7-8 minutes; until the edges just start to crisp.
- Cool on the pan 1 minute, transfer to cooling racks and cool completely.