Last week we returned from a trip to the mountains of NC and with me I brought a peck of apples. I decided to try to recreate the long, lost recipe so I could enjoy a few of my freshly picked apples. If you are even in Waynesville, NC I recommend a stop at Barber Farms. It is adorable and they sell a variety of vegetables along with their apples and they even have a little bakery there where they sell a selection of tasty little treats; apple cider doughnuts, apple fritters, apple turn overs, apple cake, cookies and cider. Okay that’s the end of my plug for Barber Farms, now on to the recipe. Fresh apples, tart cranberries and a lightly sweet, crunchy topping make this crisp a real hit + it’s vegan. Try it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a dollop of fresh whipped cream or enjoy it all by itself, happy baking!
Cranberry Apple Crisp
Yield 2 servings
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/2 c oats, old fashioned
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c apple juice
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- Preheat your oven to 375º F and prepare 2 small individual baking dishes with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl add the cranberries and apple juice, let sit 15 minutes.
- Toss the apples and cranberry mixture with the lemon juice, divide evenly between the baking dishes and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- In a small bowl stir together the oats, brown sugar, salt and coconut oil.
- Spread the oat topping over the apples and bake for 17-20 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove carefully from the oven, cool 10 minutes and serve warm.