These classic funfetti cupcakes are sweet, delicious and made just a little healthier with the addition of Greek yogurt!
Anyone who denies the power of advertising (or television in general) has never met a two year old! Case in point – the other day my daughter was watching one of her favorite cartoons “Super Why” and they were baking a cake. She immediately exclaimed to me, “Momma I bake cake!” So I assured her that we could make a cake, well cupcakes to be exact and that was that. We gathered up our ingredients, she grabbed aprons for the both of us (this is super important to her, it makes me smile) and we went about making the batter.We decided funfetti was the variety of the day, she and my husband are big on sprinkles.
Lately I have been baking with Greek yogurt a lot, I love the added protein and the moistness it provides without all of the extra fat. This recipe is an adaptation of one by Aunt Natalie and they turned out great; moist, delicious and bursting with sprinkles. Enjoy and happy baking!
Classic Funfetti Cupcakes
Yield 12 cupcakes
- 4 Tbs butter, softened
- 1/4 c + 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs Greek Yogurt, I used Chobani 2% Plain
- 1/4 c + 2 Tbs milk
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c + 2 Tbs cake flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 c rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line a 12 well muffin tin with paper liners.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and egg, beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl whisk together the Greek yogurt and milk. In a mixing bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mixing in low speed alternate the wet ingredients with the dry; until the batter just comes together. Fold in the sprinkles and fill each paper liner 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden on top. Cool completely, frost and serve.
Recipe adapted from Funfetti Cupcakes by Life Made Simple