Strawberry Hand Pies
Yield 4 hand pies
For the crust:
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 c cold Greek yogurt, I used Chobani plain
For the filling:
- 1 c strawberries, sliced
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder, then cut in the butter, until you have a crumbly mixture.
- The butter should be in large, pea-sized pieces.
- Stir in the Greek yogurt, the dough will be sticky and still a little crumbly.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for a minute until it comes together. Shape the dough into a log, and then roll it into roughly an 8" x 10" rectangle.
- Dust both sides of the dough with flour, and fold it in three.
- Flip the dough and roll it again into an 8" x 10" rectangle; folding into three again.
- Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.
- In a medium sized saucepan add the strawberries, sugar, corn starch and lemon juice and cook for about 5 minutes, until thickened; set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment or a baking mat.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4" thick and cut it into 8 even rectangles or 8 circles using a 5" cutter.
- Fill 4 of the cut dough with a heaping Tbs of the filling and brush beaten egg around the edges, place a second cut dough on top and using a fork crimp the edges together.
- Cut vent holes in the top of each pie, brush with egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown, remove from the oven and cool on the pan 5 minutes; serve warm.
Courses dessert, pie
Recipe adapted from Blueberry Hand Pies by King Arthur Flour