Enjoy a homemade donut bursting with blueberry and lemon flavors that has just the right amount of sweetness with a hint of tartness, perfect for breakfast or dessert.
A couple of weeks ago a bloggy friend suggested linking up at the Lady Behind the Curtain blog and so I did. Not only is Sheryl fabulous about sharing recipes from her link party, her site drives a good amount of traffic as well – thanks Sheryl! Anyway one day while linking up I was browsing around and stumbled upon her dessert challenge and decided I wanted to participate.
This month’s ingredients were blueberry and lemon, so I decided to give baked donuts a try again. I think donuts are one of those foods that don’t really fit into any one category – yes traditionally they are a breakfast item, but they are so delicious and usually quite decadent, so I consider them a dessert or even a snack at times. These donuts are bursting with blueberry and lemon flavor with just the right amount of sweetness and a hint of tart. No matter what time of day you decide to eat these I hope you’ll enjoy; happy baking!
Blueberry Lemon Donuts
Recipe type: breakfast
Serves: 1 dozen donuts
for the donuts:
- 2 Tbs honey
- 2 Tbs applesauce
- ¼ c sugar
- 1 egg, extra large
- ¼ c lemon juice
- ¼ c + 2 Tbs milk
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1⅓ c flour
- ½ c blueberries
for the glaze:
- 2 Tbs powdered sugar
- ¾ tsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 425º and prepare a donut pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the honey, apple sauce, sugar, egg, milk and lemon juice.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl sift together the dry ingredients, stir in the wet ingredients until moistened.
- Place 3-4 blueberries in each donut well and top with batter, bake for 9-10 minutes until golden. Remove carefully from the oven and cool in the pan 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with the glaze and serve.
Recipe adapted from Baked Doughnuts Three Ways by King Arthur Flour