Layers of zucchini tomato and cheese make this Vegetable Gratin a perfect side dish to any meal.
A while back one day while I was busy browsing the foodie blogosphere I stumbled upon The Secret Recipe Club website. I can’t remember who is to credit for this find, I am sure I clicked a link in one of my weekly link parties I like to participate in and low and behold I was introduced to the world of SRC. I was intrigued at the concept (make a recipe from an assigned blog and someone who is assigned you will also do the same). Well a few weeks ago I received an email saying I was in, can you imagine my excitement, I love finding and trying new recipes and now I get help doing that! If you’re interested in learning more about SRC, click the button below.
Today I am excited to share a recipe from Learning Patience, where Corey blogs about food, travel, fitness and her life in Trinidad – lucky girl, right? I scanned her recipe archives and the first one that jumped out at me was this Vegetable Gratin. So I grabbed a few things from the grocery store, I changed up some of the ingredients to fit my family’s taste and got to slicing. I love the look of the layered vegetables and the easiness of this dish, it goes great as a side to so many things. The smell of it baking and the end result have me convinced that this gratin is a keeper. One that I will try again with many different vegetable combinations. So slice yourself up some veggies, get layering and enjoy; happy baking!
Vegetable Gratin: Secret Recipe Club Reveal
Recipe type: side dish, vegetable
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 Tbs Canola oil
- 1 onion, small
- 1 Tbs mined garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbs thyme, I used dried
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup Panko
- ¼ c parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ c shredded Italian cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350º and prepare a small casserole dish with cooking spray; I used a Pyrex pie pan. Slice the zucchini into thin rounds, in a mixing bowl toss the zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, set aside. In a separate bowl mix the Panko, thyme, pepper and parmesan cheese, set aside.
- In a skillet over medium/low temp heat the canola oil and cook the onion until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic during the last minute and spread the mixture into the bottom of a casserole pan.
- Place a layer of zucchini over the onion mixture and top with tomatoes, sprinkle the with the Panko mixture and continue layering; ending with a top layer of vegetables.
- Sprinkle the Italian cheese over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the cheese is golden and melted.
- Remove carefully, cool 8-10 minutes and serve warm.