Apple pie takes on a whole new flavor profile with the marriage of tart apples and salted caramel sauce in these Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies.
Do you remember last month when I posted the recipe for this Salted Caramel Sauce? If you missed it, you’re definitely going to want to check it out because I didn’t just make it to eat by the spoonful, although I have been known to do that from time to time. It’s the first step to making these amazingly delicious Salted Caramel Hand Pies that I shared over at White Lights on Wednesday last month.
Soft, flaky individual pies are stuffed with diced apples and salted caramel sauce and they make a great little treat that is just perfect for the holiday season or breakfast. Because I am definitely not opposed to eating leftover pie for breakfast, I splash on a little almond milk and consider it a pastry! With that said, yes these are definitely way tastier when eaten fresh, let them cool a bit and dig in, but if you happen to be lucky enough to have some left by all means it them whenever the urge arises.
I hope you’ll get a chance to try them soon. These little beauties are perfect for the holidays; individual desserts are my absolute favorite Enjoy and happy baking!
Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies
Yield 4 hand pies
For the crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup diced apples, I like Granny Smith
- 4 tablespoons salted caramel sauce
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling, optional
To make the crust:
- In a food processor add the flour, salt and butter, pulse until crumbly.
- Add the Greek yogurt and ice water, pulse until the dough pulls together from the sides of the bowl.
- Flatten the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
To make pies:
- Preheat your oven to 425º F and line a baking pan with parchment or a silicone baking mat, set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the apples, salted caramel sauce and corn starch, until coated evenly.
- Roll the pie dough out into a large circle and cut the into 4 equal pieces.
- Place 1/4 of the apple mixture into the center of each pie dough section and fold over, crimp the edges to seal.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg white and 1 Tbs of water.
- Coat the pie tops with egg wash and sprinkle on coarse sugar, cut a small slit in the top of each pie and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool on the pan 5 minutes, serve warm.
- Store remaining pies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Courses dessert, pie