A few weeks ago while my hubby was out of town on business my sister came for a visit, we had a great time and she loved spending time with the kids. One of the tricky things about a visit is always what to cook, she’s vegan! Luckily I had a enough things on hand Sunday when she arrived that we could make dinner, but come Monday of course we ended up at the grocery store to pick up a few necessities. Walking around the aisles we chatted about lunch for the next Sunday when a lot of our family would be in town celebrating the birth of our son. I knew we would be serving a lot of non-vegan foods, so I wanted to make sure to include things she could eat as well. What meal is complete without a dessert, so I decided it must be vegan!
We love citrus in our family, cakes, pies, bars ect; so I thought making a sweet and sour treat was quite fitting. I opted for lime bars (I’ll share that recipe on Thursday) and since they were going to be dairy free, that meant making a curd; something I hadn’t done in a couple of years. I did some research and decided to make a variation of this recipe to fit my needs, but with limes instead of lemons.
It turned out to be quite an easy recipe and it tasted delicious – I’m talking eat with a spoon good! If you like a little tartness in your desserts or on your toast/biscuits then you have to make yourself a batch of this lime curd. I hope you’ll enjoy this curd as much as we do!
- 1 c lime juice, I used a mixture of fresh and bottled
- 1/2 c water
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 4 Tbs corn starch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- zest of two limes
- 1/3 c almond milk, I used unsweetened vanilla
- 1 1/2 Tbs coconut oil
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine the lime juice, water, sugar, corn starch, salt and zest; whisk until the mixture boils.
- Cook for an addition minute undisturbed, it should turn clear and be thicker.
- Remove from the heat and add the almond milk and coconut oil, whisk until the mixture is smooth. Pour the curd into glass jars and let cool to room temperature, store in the fridge.
Recipe adapted from Lemon Curd by Vegansaurus
Courses spread, sauce