A sweet cherry and lime zest filling inside of fluffy sweet roll dough makes these Cherry Limeade Sweet Rolls hard to resist!
Monday is library day around here during the summer, we return our books and DVDs from the previous week and pick out a set of new ones. My 3 year is obsessed with the summer reading program they have set up – for everyday you read you check off the day. Then at your next visit you bring in your reading sheet and get a prize from the “treasure chest”. She’s happy and as a mom I’m thrilled that she loves books. Afterwards we stop in at the local Publix grocery store where she gets a cookie, we say “hi” to the lobsters and I buy a few groceries. It’s win, win = everyone goes home happy!
This past Monday they just happened to have fresh cherries on sale, so I couldn’t resist bringing home a bag. I love cherries! Eating them plain, baking with them, making smoothies, covering them in chocolate… you get the point. I had a few limes sitting around on my counter calling out to me so I thought would it be too weird to make a cherry lime sweet roll?
I decided it was finally time to give quick-proofing yeast dough a try and bake up a test batch. Fresh cherries and lime zest come together for a delicious filling inside these fluffy sweet rolls, you are going to want more than just one… trust me. Whether you make yourself a batch of these for breakfast or dessert, I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as my friends and I have; happy baking!
Cherry Limeade Sweet Rolls
Yield 12 rolls
- 2 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/4 c coconut oil, divided
- 1 egg, large
- 1 c cherries, washed, pitted and sliced
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sugar
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 c powdered sugar
- juice of 1/2 lime
- In the bowl of your strand mixer add the flour, sugar, salt and yeast, stir to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the water, milk and 2 Tbs coconut oil, heat for 1 minute over high power.
- Using the dough hook, gradually add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, add the egg and knead over medium/low speed for 4-5 minutes; the dough will be sticky.
- Place the dough on a clean surface and cover with plastic wrap, let sit 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium heat cook the cherries, corn starch, 1 tsp of sugar, lime zest and juice for 5-6 minutes, until darkened and soft.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Preheat your oven to 200º F and prepare a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle (a little extra flour will keep it from sticking to your counter).
- Stir the 1/3 c sugar into the cooled cherry mixture.
- Spread 2 Tbs of coconut oil over the dough and top with the cherry mixture.
- Starting with the long side roll the dough towards you and pinch the seam to seal.
- Slice the log in half and then slice each half into six equal pieces.
- Place the rolls into the baking pan, cover with foil, turn the oven off and place the rolls inside to rise for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- After the rolls have risen, remove from the oven and set the foil aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and bake for 25 minutes, until golden on top.
- Remove the rolls from the oven, let cool 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl stir together the powdered sugar and lime juice to form an icing.
- Spread the icing over the rolls and serve.
dough recipe adapted from Lemon Sweet Rolls, Sally's Baking Addiction
Courses breakfast, sweet roll
Mallory @ Chocolate with Grace says
Love cherries and this twist on sweet rolls that makes them perfect for summer!
Thank you Mallory, I hope you will get a chance to try them soon.
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
Cherry limeade is already amazing but in sweet rolls, it is perfection!
thanks Jocelyn, I love it when recipes you aren’t too sure about turn out amazing!
Amy | Club Narwhal says
Holy moly, these rolls are gorgeous! I love cherry anything and that limeade touch is perfection!
thank you Amy 🙂 I figured I’d give your tips a shot on these photos!
Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos says
I LOVE cherry and lime together – these look amazing 🙂
Thank you Becca 🙂
I just made some black forest cupcakes, but I wish I would have saved some cherries to make these yummy rolls!
thank you Anne, you will love them 🙂
what a great flavor for sweet rolls!
This looks wonderful! I mean, first off you have lime and cherry, which when I think about are a great combo, and then there is this fluffy cake with frosting! Amazing!
thank you Kayla, they are really delicious, definitely one to share with friends.
Wow, these sweet rolls look incredible, Emily! I love the cherry lime combo – it sounds amazing and I totally wish I had a few of these for breakfast this morning! Pinning!
Thanks Kelly, they are delicious, you’re going to love them!
This is a great idea! I will have to try!
Come link up with me today!!
Thank you Jennie, I hope you will soon 🙂
I had no idea something so delicious could exist until now. I absolutely love cherries. What a great recipe. Thank you for linking at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you again next week.
Thank you Cynthia!