A quick and easy deep dish skillet pizza thats ready in less than an hour!
Years ago when I was young and still in college my sister and I used to frequent a pizza place that made some of the best Chicago-style pizza. We loved eating there whenever we could scrounge up the extra cash, which back then wasn’t all that often. Oh the life of a broke college kid. Years later and despite moving multiple times, I always seem to find at least one little pizza joint that makes a really great pie. I actually have two favorite places right now – one makes the most amazing calzones and the other has the best New York-style cheese pizza.
I think it’s safe to say I’m not the only one who could eat a slice of pizza almost every day! I mean who doesn’t love pizza? This deep dish pizza is quick and super easy to make. My favorite thing about it is that you don’t need any fancy dough shaping skills, you just press it into a cast iron skillet fill it with your favorite toppings and toss it in the oven. The crust is crisp on the edges and bottom with a soft, fluffy texture on the inside. Customize it with you favorite toppings and call it lunch or dinner, or even a snack; it’s that simple. Enjoy and happy baking!
Deep Dish Skillet Pizza
Yield 1 pizza
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 - 3/4 c pizza sauce, depending on how you like it
- 2 c cheese
- additional toppings, as desired
- Preheat your oven to 450 F and lightly oil a 10" cast iron skillet.
- In a small bowl mix the yeast, sugar and water together; set aside to bloom for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the salt, oil and flour; mix until well combined.
- Let sit 10 minutes to proof while you prepare the toppings.
- Stretch the dough out to form crust and place in the skillet, pushing the edges of the crust up the sides of the skillet.
- Cover with sauce, cheese and desired toppings. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until crust is golden and the cheese begins to bubble.
Courses main dish, pizza
Serving Size 6
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.