Coconut Cream Pie has it all, lightly toasted meringue, toasted coconut and creamy coconut filling in a flaky homemade crust.
Yesterday a friend hosted her annual dessert party and aside from designing her invites, I offered to help out with the baking. What better dessert to bring to a gathering than pie? There is just something so festive about it during the holidays. I’ll admit, when she first asked me what I wanted to make I said, “I don’t know?” but then I immediately thought of this pie. This recipe was passed on to me from my mother in law, she has tons of recipes like this one that are favorites among family and friends – she baked 5 for Thanksgiving if that is any indication. The resulting pie speaks for itself, a beautiful meringue atop a smooth layer of sweet coconut cream that sits in a delicious, flaky homemade crust. This is one recipe I am sure you are going to love; enjoy and happy baking!
Coconut Cream Pie
Yield 1 pie
for the crust:
- 1 c flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c shortening, I used Crisco
- 2 Tbs water
for the pie filling:
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 Tbs corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 c shredded sweetened coconut
for the meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- 6 Tbs sugar
To make the crust:
- Sift flour and salt into bowl.
- Take out 1/3 of this mixture and mix with 2 Tbs of water to form a paste.
- Cut crisco into the remaining flour until the pieces are the size of small peas.
- Add the flour paste to Crisco-flour mixture, mixing thoroughly until the dough comes together and can be shaped.
- Bake at 425º for 12-15 minutes.
To make the filling:
- In a pot over medium heat combine the sugar, corn starch, salt, egg yolks and milk. Stir the mixture constantly until it boils, remove from heat and add the vanilla and coconut. Pour the mixture into your pre-baked pie shell.
To make the meringue:
- In the bowl of your stand mixer whip the egg whites until stiff. Add the sugar 2 Tbs at a time, beating after each addition. Spread the meringue on top of the filling and sprinkle with coconut. Bake at 365º for about 15 minutes, until the top is
- lightly browned. Lower the temperature to 325º and bake for an addition 3-5 minutes. Remove carefully from the oven and cool completely before serving.