Happy Monday / Cinco de Mayo / less than one week ’til Mothers Day! Whew, that was a mouth full. But seriously, today is the May Chocolate Party reveal day and I am excited to be sharing these Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Bonbons.
These bonbons are the perfect combination of sweet, salty and crunchy, plus they make a perfect treat to share with mom for Mother’s Day. As I was looking for ideas of what to make that was chocolate and peanut butter, I came across this recipe on Ghirardellli’s website last week. I have made a lot of chocolate and peanut butter here on the blog over the last few years, but not bonbons, so I just had to have them.
My hubby is a huge peanut butter fan, especially chocolate and peanut butter and he just loved these bonbons. I especially enjoyed the added crunch of the pretzels with the smooth sweet peanut butter filling. I guess if I had to describe these I would say they are like Buckeye candies on steroids. Chopped peanut butter cups, pretzels and peanut butter all rolled into one delicious bite and coated in chocolate… yes please!
Whether you make these for yourself, a friend or even your mom, I hope you’ll enjoy these Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Bonbons!
Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Bonbons
Yield 36 Bonbons
- 1 c peanut butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 c small peanut butter cups, chopped
- 1/2 c crushed pretzels
- 12 oz melting chocolate
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the peanut butter and cream cheese and microwave uncovered on high for 30 seconds,until slightly softened.
- Stirring the mixture, then add the powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter cups and pretzels and stir to combine.
- Scoop the mixture and shape into 1-inch balls.
- Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, cover and freeze for 15 minutes, until firm.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl according to package directions, stir until smooth.
- If the chocolate isn't completely melted, continue to microwave at 15 second intervals and stir until smooth.
- Dip the peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate using a fork and allow the excess to drip back into bowl.
- Place the coated balls back on the baking sheet and chill for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled, store any remaining bonbons in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
recipe adapted from Peanut Butter-Pretzel Bonbons by Ghirardelli Chocolate
Courses candy, dessert
Want to know more about the Chocolate Party? Click here to read all the fun details or stop by and join the Facebook group
Cindy Eikenberg says
Hi Emily! These sound like a perfect and decadent little treat – love adding the pretzels with the peanut butter! Thanks for sharing and pinning! Hope you have a happy Monday!
Thank you Cindy, happy Monday to you too!
Laura@Baking in Pyjamas says
Oh yum, I’d have a hard time just eating one they look delicious.
Ha ha Laura, I did have a hard time not eating them all!
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
I’m pretty sure I would probably hide the entire batch and eat it all myself! Peanut butter + chocolate + pretzel = the best combination ever. I’m definitely going to make these soon! Pinned!
You crack me up Ashley, thank you 🙂
Denise Browning@From Brazil To You says
These bonbons look so scrumptious, Emily!
Thanks Denise, I hope you’ll try them soon!
Emily @ Life on Food says
These are yummy little treats. I can never get enough peanut butter and chocolate.
Thank you Emily 🙂
These look so tasty, reading down he ingredient list I am sure they would be so delicious!! Well done on the challenge!
Thank you Julie, I hope you like them as much as we do!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
This is one of my absolutely favorite flavor combos- peanut butter, chocolate, & pretzels! 🙂 Yum, Emily!
Thanks Carrie, you will love them!
These little bon bons have danger written all over them. I could eat the whole recipe, love the sweet and salty aspect!!
True story Suzanne, they are dangerous! I am tempting anyone who walks in my front door 🙂
Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking says
Buckeye candies on steroids!! Love the description of these truffles! Thanks for joining our party again this month Emily
ha ha, thanks for hosting each month Roxana, I had a lot of fun making and eating them!