Happy Monday everyone. Today is one of my favorite days of the month, I know I say that every month, but it’s true – I just love Secret Recipe Club reveal day! This month I was assigned Suzanne, she blogs over at Thru the Bugs on My Windshield. When I first started searching through her archives I was determined to make something sweet to share, you know I love a good baked treat. But I also had a baby shower to attend a few weeks ago, so as soon as I saw the recipe for this Chicken Asparagus Pasta Salad, I knew I had found a winner!
First off, this salad is amazing! It’s true. What’ s not to love about pasta salad filled with delicious chicken, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, capers and black olives. Plus it tastes just as divine cold as it does warm and it makes a great main dish or side. I just made a few slight alterations to Suzanne’s recipe, I opted for a bow tie pasta to fit the “Bow ties & Mustaches” theme of the baby shower, chose capers instead of green olives and cut out the chicken stock.
Confession… before this dish I don’t think I have really ever made anything with capers, which to my surprise I loved. I’m not even sure why I was so shocked to find that I enjoyed them? But the point is, they’re delicious!
The salad was a big hit at the baby shower, so I was glad that I had set a small bowl aside to take pictures of the next day; because I didn’t bring much home that night. Luckily that also meant I had some yummy salad to enjoy for lunch that day as well! This salad is one of those that only seems to get better as it has more time to sit and allow the flavors to marinate, so you could even make it a day or two in advance if needed.
Whether you make it for yourself or to share with friends, I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we did!
Chicken Asparagus Pasta Salad
Yield 8 -10 servings
- 1 14 oz box of bow tie pasta
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 Tbs Italian salad dressing mix
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 10 oz pkg cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 c onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c pasta water
- 1 Tbs vinegar
- 1 small can black olives, sliced
- 1 small jar of capers, drained 2/3 of the way
- 2 Tbs cracked black pepper
- 2 c fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 c of the pasta water.
- Season the chicken with the Italian salad dressing mix; bake at 350º for 20 minutes, until cooked through.
- In a large skillet add the olive oil, asparagus, onion and garlic, cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- To a large mixing bowl add the pasta and asparagus mixture.
- Roughly chop the chicken and add it to the pasta mixture.
- Add the pasta water, vinegar, black olives, capers, black pepper and 1 1/2 c of the parmesan cheese.
- Stir the mixture together to distribute the ingredients evenly and top with the remaining 1/2 c cheese.
- Serve warm or chill for 2-3 hours and serve cold.
recipe adapted from Chicken Asparagus Penne Pasta Salad by Suzanne Collier
Courses salad, main dish, side dish
Want to find out more about the Secret Recipe Club? Click here for all the info and you can check out all the tasty recipes from Group B by clicking the links below: