Hot, fresh buttermilk biscuits are perfect with a smear of butter and jam or along side your next dinner.
Yield 1 dozen
- 1 1/2 c flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 Tbs butter
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 450º. In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, using a pastry cutter/two knives or your fingers cut in the butter.
- Once the mixture is sandy looking slowly add in the buttermilk until a dough forms.
- Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead for a minute, roll the dough out to 3/4" thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or a glass cut out the biscuits and place on a baking pan.
- Brush the tops with butter and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden.
Recipe adapted from Pots, Pans & Pioneers II - Molly Hoskins, pg. 345
Courses biscuit, bread